Thursday, November 30, 2006

Reflections...

Completed November 30, 2006

This poem actually plays with the word "reflection." - from reflecting on one's own life (being in the dark and how God has saved me) to being used by God to reflect His image (His goodness, kindness, compassion,etc.) Another thing that could be seen in the poem is the symbolism of the room depicting the person. We are unworthy of being saved by God but God does not look at the outward appearance; He looks at the heart. No matter what our background or status in life may be, we all need a Savior to cling on to.


In this little and unattractive room,
I find blissful peace and consolation.
It does not matter if it’s somewhat old,
It’s just the perfect place for reflection.

It’s the kind of place that’s chilly outside,
Yet you could feel the sheer warmth from within.
It’s like a dusty book left on the shelf
Only to find superb stories within.

Well, in here you’ll find mere simplicity
Not like the fancy lodges and hotels.
It does not have all those trappings and trimmings
Nor does it have decorations like bells.

It’s an old room with just one basic bed,
A table, cabinet and two small chairs.
Yet in this kind of quiet atmosphere
I find myself saying heartfelt prayers.

I come into this place very lowly
For I’m a person with plenty of sins.
And as I confess my sins and wrongdoing
That is the time my Savior’s work begins!

I sing a song of praise and thanks to Him
For He has pulled me out of the dark pit.
I’ll believe and depend in His guidance.
Under His laws, I’m willing to submit.

As I do this everyday of my life,
I see changes in the way I do things –
From being childish to being mature,
From selfish to being a true blessing.

My only prayer now is to go on,
Carrying on what has been well begun.
I pray that my life be a reflection

Of how it is to be living in the Son!

No comments: